Reading and interpretation of the micrometer in tenths of thousandth of inch
Use of the instrument of measurement ‘micrometer’ in the english system and resolution tenths of thousandth: reading and interpretation
This text will address exclusively the reading of the tenths of milliseconds of the micrometer. If you are still not versed in the use, reading and interpreting the millimeter part of the micrometer, interact with this page before proceeding.
This text assumes that you are familiar with the nomenclature of the components of the Micrometer <- if necessary, remember this subject by clicking here and with the reading of graduated ruler, or scale, in tenth inch <- remember by clicking here.
The operation of the micrometer in tenth of thousandth of inch the vernier scale reading process
figure 1 – Thimble in partial view to reveal the vernier that divides the thousandth of the inch by ten
The main difference of this configuration is that this one has ten paralel lines to the ‘basis line’ graved in the sleeve – figure 1.
The resolution of the micrometer tenth of thousandth, the vernier reading process
In the micrometer in thousandth inch, the resolution was obtained dividing the micrometric thread pitch by the number of the divisions of the thimble (Resolution = thread pitch of the micrometric fuse/ number of the divisions of the thimble) or Resolution = 0.025 in / 25 = 0.001 in.
In the micrometer tenth of thousandth the smaller difference between indications is divided by ten by one vernier scale graved in the sleeve. this way, the resolution will be: Resolution = 0.001in / 10 = 0.0001 in.
Reading of the micrometer in inch resolution tenth of thousandth
Interactive animation – reading of the measure by the sum of the parcels of the inch
- To determine the value of the measure, it os necessary to sum:
- the value obtained in the scale graved in the shealth, in tenths of inch (0.1 in)
- repesented by ( o ) ‘in the green color’ in the animation below
- with 0.025 in x number of counters of 0.025in exposed (0.1 in/4)
- repesented by ( o ) ‘in the blue color’
- with the thimble aligned with the ‘reference line’, in thousandths of inch
- repesented by ( o ) ‘in orange color’
- with the value read in the aligned in the thimble, in tenths of thousandth of inch
- repesented by ( o ) ‘in the red color’
- click in the icon in the inferior corner of the interactive animation screen to alternate the value of the measure
- use the icon ‘eye’ to hide the values total and partial
- with the ‘closed eye’, click in the colored circles to show the partial value related to them